30 April 2008

It’s not a rant, it’s constructive criticism

I came across this article as I was researching for my Uni assignment today. Mark Hodson provides those in PR with a few ‘useful’ tips on how to deal with journalists.

Here are a few of his suggestions:

1. If your email opens with the words “Hi there”, it’s junk.
Call me picky, but I prefer to receive ideas that aren’t being simultaneously touted to 200 other journalists. If you can’t be bothered to write me an individual email, then I can’t be bothered to read it.

3. Don’t resend an email, just to make sure.
And don’t phone to check if I got your email.

9. Learn to spell.
Most journalists are quite old-fashioned. We still value correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. Spell check only works up to a point. It won't tell you when to use "there", "their", or "they're".

Journalists aren’t picky they’re just pedantic!

To read all of Mark’s tips - http://www.markhodson.net/#/10tipsforprs/4523939581

No comments: